This year there’s ten winners and a total of £20,000 worth of Christmas Lights up for grabs in the Blachere Illumination Light Competition 2016
“Our Christmas events, ice rink and lights are always a firm favourite with locals and visitors to Hastings. Last year, our lights and festive period were upgraded and enhanced thanks to Blachere Illumination and Revive and Thrive. Hastings entered their inaugural Christmas Lights Competition and were rewarded with an additional £1000 of lighting after taking third place. The competition really focuses minds on the meaning and value of community and I’m pleased we took part in it. As well as a chance to meet the Blachere UK team, the finals also included a visit to the famous Blackpool Illuminations workshops and a chance to meet fellow competitors from a range of cities, towns and villages throughout the country. I would encourage as many community groups and organisations as possible to enter this year’s competition. It’s a learning experience and great fun.” Rob Woods, Hastings Town Centre Manager
The Prize breakdown for 2016 is –
- Eight prizes of £1000 of Christmas Lighting
- One second prize of £2000 of Christmas Lighting
- First prize of £10,000 of Christmas Lighting
Applicants in 2015 are encouraged to enter once again. Prizes are Motif product (Pole mount and transverse frames) only. Installation, infrastructure and storage costs are not included.
What is the competition designed to achieve?
Like in 2015 applicants are being urged to consider what their places and its retailers get from adding some sparkle to the peak shopping period. But, Blachere are going one step further this year by asking applicants to consider what other creative solutions could be used to bring residents, shoppers and visitors into the heart of their places to celebrate at other times of the year.
To be in with a chance of winning one of the prizes above, all of which are being awarded for perpetuity to the ten winners by Blachere Illumination, simply answer the following questions.
NB – this competition is only 1800 words long and should be able to be completed in one hour. Supporting documents are optional.
The questions should be answered considering your own experiences or by envisaging the answers if you were to win the Competition or if you were able to create the ‘dream’ event for your place with any budget that you need. Feel free to be creative but the answers must be physically if not economically feasible. [dropshadowbox align=”right” effect=”lifted-both” width=”160px” height=”” background_color=”#ffffff” border_width=”1″ border_color=”#dddddd” ]Read about last year’s winners here[/dropshadowbox]
- Q1 – Is your Christmas Lights Switch On Event the most important date in your place’s calendar? If so, why is the event still so important? If not, what event is your most important event and what creative solutions do you use to enhance the resident or visitor experience (max 600 words) 35% score
- Q2 – Christmas Lights create an enjoyable experience for visitors and shoppers lasting sometimes, for more than six weeks. Describe another event real, planned or imagined that uses or could use lighting or other creative solutions to create an extended experience for visitors to your place. (max 600 words) 35% score
- Q3 – Three part question (max 600 words) 30% Score
- How do you ensure a return on investment for offering experiences similar to Christmas Lighting and Light Switch On Events?
- To enable these experiences to take place, is it essential for you that the return is financial and/or experiential? [dropshadowbox align=”right” effect=”lifted-both” width=”300px” height=”” background_color=”#ffffff” border_width=”1″ border_color=”#dddddd” ]Read about one of last year’s runners-up here[/dropshadowbox]
- How do you measure the return?
The 10 lucky finalists all guaranteed to win between £1,000 and £10,000 worth of Christmas Lights will all be asked to give a small presentation at Revive & Thrive Conference, Exhibition and Challenge Final at Colchester 29th and 30th September 2016.
- Close for applications 16th August 2016 Seven day extended deadline available by request for Revive & Thrive Town Leadership Members.
- Finalists announced 6th September 2016
- Finalists Presentations and prize award 29th and 30th September